The term SOCaaS refers to a managed security service where the resources of a Security Operations Center (SOC) can be outsourced. This would typically include the systems and software needed to collect logs, store them, create business rules and apply logic to identify potential threats, and the staff to monitor and address threats 24/7 every day, weekends and holidays included.
Why do you need this type of service? Let’s look at some of the challenges you will face if you try to do this on your own.
1) Cyber threats are constantly evolving. Keeping up with the latest threats is a challenge. Applying outside threat intelligence and having security analysts on staff that are focused on identifying new indicators of compromise greatly increases the chances to identify a new exploit and stop it in its tracks.
2) Compliance requirements for monitoring make it difficult for internal staff to cover the need. Your IT director has other things to do, including keeping the network in good shape and helping staff with issues. It also takes a minimum of three full-time employees to monitor 24/7 365 days a year, and you still have to account for sick days and vacations.
3) The push to remote and hybrid workforces has expanded the risk as systems need to be accessible from outside the corporate network, and cloud services are being used.
4) SOC staff needs to be able to validate threats. You can purchase Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools to ingest logs from your firewall, key servers, endpoints, and cloud services to alert on potential threats, but many of those alerts will be false positives. In many cases, the sheer volume of alerts overwhelms the internal staff as they simply don’t have the time to investigate them all, and they may fail to detect an actual incident. Security analysts are trained to investigate the alerts, validate threats, and take action.
5) Security Analysts are in high demand and difficult to find. SOCaaS provides access to these resources without having to hire, train and retain them internally.
Key benefits of SOCaaS:
- Continuous centralized monitoring of logs from a variety of sources to detect indicators of compromise
- Validation of alerts to cull out false positives and provide action steps for threats
- Access to the systems, tools and staffing of a full SOC without a large capital investment and ongoing costs to maintain. SOCaaS provides a much lower operating cost scaled to the organization’s assets.